12.17.2011

Jesus loves me - canvas tutorial



We're renting the house we're currently in since we just moved to Denver and are still trying to figure out what area of town we want to be in. The powder room on the main floor was BEYOND hideous. I'm so mad I didn't take a picture of it because you would have fallen on the floor laughing.

Not sure who had the brilliant idea that rust colored sponge painting would cover up a VERY bad texture job on the walls, but apparently they gave it a go. Didn't help.

Obviously the necessity of painting that room was pretty high on the list but after the room became a grayish beige {accessible beige sw7036}, it looked cold and empty & needed some brightening up!

Initially this was my inspiration... {thank you susie harris}




Our kids' favorite song to sing is "Jesus Loves Me" in fact, it was the only song Ezekiel knew the words to in english when coming home from Ethiopia. So it has a special place in my heart & gave me my own inspiration {the below video while he was still in Africa, a few months before coming home}.





As I've mentioned before, I'm loving the chevron pattern these days so I repeated it here. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and didn't take any pictures of the process, so this is sadly all I have. The above picture is actually from this post about my joy painting above the mantle. But it's the same process for that pattern, so I suppose it doesn't matter all that much.







I used a stencil similar to this one from Joann's, but mine are from Hobby Lobby. Just look for the largest {within reason} stencil you can find. Most seemed to be way too small.




Originally I was going to simply paint Jesus' name in this beautiful aqua. But I felt like it needed some dimension. Some depth....just...something.

It was late one night and I didn't want to drive the 15 minutes to our nearest Hob Lob {it was probably closed anyway} so I ran into Walmart instead. Yes. Walmart. I've been in there only a handful of times. Ever. I'm not one of those die-hard Walmart people. I just don't see the draw {Target though...different story} but tonight it was close and still open. And since I found these wooden letters, I'd say it was worth the trip.




Ben suggested I use gorilla glue or something similar to affix the wooden letters, but for whatever reason, I didn't want to. Instead I turned over the canvas and got out my staple gun. It worked great and I know they're on there for the long haul.




Please pay better attention than I did when stapling. This is what happens when you're talking and laughing with your kids {above}.




So here she is...brightened the powder room right up & makes me smile every time I walk by.


TERESA

0 comments: